What is the ChargePort Kit?
The ChargePort is a unique, custom designed battery charging port and battery maintenance solution for the Ford GT. Although completely hidden from view and the elements, the ChargePort is uniquely accessible. Once you've used the ChargePort once, you'll find it's easy to reach and a convenient place to connect your battery maintenance charger (included in the kit). It is comprised of the unique ChargePort bracket & port, all necessary wiring, and the #1 best-selling brand battery maintenance charger in the world! Like the other Cool Tech products for the Ford GT, we pride ourselves in only using top, brand-name components with the best industry reputations. In fact, the manufacturer warrants their solution for a full 5-years. Cool Tech adds a "no questions asked" free replacement for any defect occurring within 2-years of purchase.
How do you use it?
If you plan to have a period of inactivity with your Ford GT, just plug in the maintenance charger to the CoolTech ChargePort and forget it! The charger's built-in microprocessor technology takes over. Of course, you will have a visual indication at all times of what the battery charger is doing. A green light indicates the charger is simply monitoring the condition of the battery. A red light is present when the charger has detected even the smallest drop in battery voltage and it has begun charging. The charger WILL NOT overcharge your battery - but will maintain the battery's condition at an ideal, life-enhancing state.
- Maintain your GT battery at the ideal operating level and add years to your battery's life
- ChargePort Kit will pay for itself by eliminating costly battery purchases stemming from prolonged periods of inactivity
- Readily accessible charging port on the exterior of the vehicle
- Very car-cover friendly
- Custom-made all-aluminum ChargePort bracket with stainless steel hardware included (2006 Models Only)
- Insure that your car is always ready to go when you are
Key, Unique Differentiators
- Uses the #1 selling, and arguably the world's finest battery maintenance charger with built-in microprocessor technology
- No need to roll down windows and drape electrical cords against the car body
- No need to fight with car covers and cords - just plug the maintenance charger into the ChargePort and you're done
- Uses heavy 14-gauge wire - not light-duty 16 or 18 gauge like other models
- The manufacturer warrants the charger for 5 years. Cool Tech adds a "no questions asked", free exchange for the first two years of ownership
Do I need the ChargePort Kit?
- If you drive your GT frequently and seldom will let it sit for a week or more at a time, then you will likely not benefit from the ChargePort kit. Your battery's life is enhanced as long as it is maintained at peak current capability levels. Frequent (weekly) driving will do this.
- If, however, you plan to have occasional periods of inactivity of your Ford GT, then you should do something for battery maintenance. The ChargePort is one such alternative. We'd like to think it is the most convenient and best-engineered solution available at a reasonable price.
How does the ChargePort Kit work?
The Cool Tech ChargePort Kit is much more than a trickle/float charger. It has a brain. It's lightweight, compact, and fully automatic; very easy to use, especially in small spaces. It will keep your battery fully charged so that it is ready to go when you are!
- Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).
- Fully Automatic: At the end of the regular charger cycle, every Battery Tender battery charger automatically switches its output voltage to a safe, storage or float level that eliminates the need to constantly check on the conditions of the battery.
- Automatically switches to float / maintenance voltage after fully charging the battery.
- If the battery voltage drops too far under load, full charger output power resumes.
- Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger.
- Zero Draw from Batteries: When the AC power is disconnected, the battery charger draws zero current from the battery.
- Spark proof.
- Reverse polarity protected.
- 12' output cord.
- 5 year manufacturer's warranty (Cool Tech adds a "no questions asked" free replacement with 2 years.)
Why use a Battery maintainer at all, and why not use the one that came with the car?
- In addition to an inconvenience when you least expect it, a dead battery poses some serious threats to your on-board car electronics.
- A dead battery will cause your ECU to "forget" learned parameters such as short and long-range fuel trim values
- Inappropriate charging of a dead battery can cause acid spill-overs that can damage paint and under-hood components
- Incorrect jump-starting of a dead battery can cause voltage spikes that could be harmful to on-board electronics
- Prolonged periods of inactivity can be harmful to battery life - causing more frequent replacement That's why Ford included a charger with the GT
- Cool Tech's ChargePort has a few advantages over the included Ford GT charger
- The ChargePort is mounted on the exterior of the car so you don't need to leave windows open and drape power cords against the bodywork
- The ChargePort is mounted low to mitigate interference from car covers
- The ChargePort's charging capability is a full 50% greater than the stock charger
- The ChargePort charger has indicators for steady-state and charging - allowing you to know at a glance the current charge state of your battery
- The ChargePort kit includes a 25' extension bringing the total reach to 37' mitigating the need for extension cords and/or power strips
- The ChargePort kit is not collectible - but many owners are preferring to keep the Factory GT charger in its original un-used condition
What makes the Cool Tech Ford GT ChargePort Kit unique?
The Cool Tech ChargePort Kit is designed specifically for the GT. Although the "brain" of the battery maintenance components can be sourced elsewhere, here's what we've done to enhance the value for Ford GT owners;
- The ChargePort is uniquely designed and custom-mounted for the Ford GT
- The ChargePort is readily accessible, but completely hidden from view (2006 Models)
- The ChargePort kit includes a leashed rubber protective cover to further protect the contacts
- To custom-fit the GT and to aid installation, (2) fully waterproof, WeatherPack connections are incorporated into the system - providing precisely the right line-length of mounting for the GT (no excess wire loops or unsightly stretches of wire)
- The kit also includes a 14-gauge 25' extension cable giving the system a full, 37' reach to an AC outlet
- Fully illustrated step-by-step, GT-specific installation instructions (install it yourself in less than 1 hour)
- Cool Tech adds a "no questions asked" free replacement with 2 years of purchase for original owners
What's in the ChargePort Kit?
- Custom and elegantly simple aluminum ChargePort Bracket for GT (2006 Models Only)
- Rubber weather cap w/leash (can't lose it)
- ChargePort wiring terminating in WeatherPack connector (This is the end mounted in the grill area.)
- Fused Battery Terminal connection cable with unique WeatherPack connector (This mounts to your GT battery.)
- Custom-length intermediate connector harness for Ford GT (connects fused battery wire to charge port)
- Intelligent, microprocessor controlled Float Charger with LED Charge state indication w/ 12' harness
- 25' Extension harness (Allows access to nearest AC outlet without using extension cords.)
- Complete illustrated instructions for GT mounting (no holes drilled or other mods to car!)